Mama K's Spin on Avocado Toast
Above photograph courtesy of: Charles Deluvio
When I was diagnosed with extremely high cholesterol levels, (long story) I had to literally make drastic eating habit changes overnight. Suddenly cheese, butter or anything that could send my cholesterol levels up were not an option until I was able to get my numbers under control.
That meant giving up my beloved cream cheese on toast for breakfast and sometimes lunch including an evening snack. Don’t judge - I like cream cheese.
Fast forward to my first taste of avocado toast. My world was changed almost instantaneously. Delicious, creamy and a “good” fat - I literally felt like I hit the jackpot.
Since then, I have changed up how I take my avocado toast and thought I would share a few variations with you. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 Avocados, pits removed
- 1/2 a Lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 Slices bread (not white), toasted
The above ingredients are for the basic avocado toast.
Remove avocado halves from their skin and place in a medium bowl adding squeezed lemon juice in. Season with salt and pepper and mash with a fork to desired consistency. Adjust seasoning by adding more lemon juice, salt and/or pepper.
Spread the mashed avocado mixture onto well toasted bread and top with the following possible toppings:
- Small handful of arugula with some micro greens and slices of tomato drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese, diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, kalamata olives and a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil
- Small handful of cilantro, sliced radishes, fresh chopped bacon crumbles, and a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice
- Chopped mangos, tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice
There are so many variations you can choose from. Let me know your favorite way to eat avocado toast in the comments below!